Training and Certification in San Antonio
Auto mechanics are responsible for performing a varied array of duties when servicing, repairing and maintaining vehicles. From identifying and isolating issues to making fixes, auto mechanics help keep cars safe and on the road. Specific tasks may include the following:
- Conducting wheel alignments
- Repairing a vehicle's powertrain system
- Changing tires
- Changing a vehicle's oil
- Replacing carburetors
- Servicing and repairing brake systems
Training programs are typically found at community colleges, technical institutes or vocational schools. There are multiple paths to an education, including diploma, certificate and associate degree programs. The length of the training program depends on the individual school, program, curriculum and graduation requirements.
There are several mechanic schools in San Antonio that offer a selection of professional programs of study, such as automotive technology or automotive service.
Auto Repair Careers in San Antonio
Let's look at how three common automotive careers are performing in the current San Antonio job market, in regards to employment and salary.
|Career||Total Employment||Hourly Mean Wage||Annual Mean Wage|
|Automotive Body and Related Repairers||1,180||$20.93||$43,520|
|Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics||4,540||$22.1||$45,970|
|Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists||1,600||$23.79||$49,470|
Finding a School in San Antonio
Prospective students considering enrolling in a mechanic school in San Antonio, or anywhere in Texas, should research their options for programs and learn how a diploma or degree could impact their future career prospects. Take a look at the automotive schools in San Antonio we've listed below and reach out to your favorites to get the info you're looking for straight from the source.
- Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics, Occupational Employment and Wages, Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes493023.htm
- Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, http://www.bls.gov/ooh/installation-maintenance-and-repair/automotive-service-technicians-and-mechanics.htm
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, OES Texas, Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics, http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_tx.htm
- Projections Central, Texas, projectionscentral.com