The Porsche Technology Apprenticeship Program is a very exclusive US apprenticeship for trained auto mechanics looking to develop the skills they need to diagnose and repair Porsche automobiles. In the US this program is only provided by the Universal Technical Institute (UTI) — and only in their Atlanta Georgia and Easton Pennsylvania campuses. Unlike other apprenticeship programs offered by BMW or Mercedes Benz that accept dozens of students, the Porsche apprenticeship is exclusive with only 12 students accepted into the program per year.
With exclusivity comes precision education, as the program's 12 to 1 student to instructor ratio is one of the best in the industry and all material, cars and equipment is provided by Porsche. Students in the program will be provided opportunities for working on modern Porches, late model Porches and vintage Porches as competency diagnosing and repairing Porsche vehicles, regardless of age, is a requirement for certification and completion.
The Porsche apprenticeship programs are staffed by UTI instructors who are credentialed in both automotive excellence and Porsche repair. There are three levels of apprenticeship certification: Bronze, Silver, and Gold. Gold certification is prestigious and rare with 200 certified Porsche automotive technicians in the US and only 700 in the world. To obtain this top ranking, students need:
- At least 5 years of experience working on and diagnosing Porsche vehicles
- To obtain prior Bronze and Silver certifications
- To continue their education with additional classes and programs each year
- To pass a final test consisting of diagnosing multiple issues in a Porsche vehicle from any model year within a set time limit
- Repairing and overhauling Cayenne, Panamera, Carrera, Boxster, Cayman engines
- Repairing and overhauling pre-direct fuel injection engines
- Diagnosing and repairing Porsche diesel engines
- Maintenance and repair of Porsche sports cars and heritage cars
- Porsche electrical systems and climate control systems diagnostic and repair
- Hard-roof and soft-roof systems repair
- Chassis, break and steering alignment and repair
Completing the program provides students with up to 96 Porsche factory credentials and consist of 62 percent of all classes available to Porsche Technicians.
In addition, as part of the apprenticeship program, classes are paid for by the partnered Porsche dealership. Students are partnered with a Porsche dealership prior to enrolling and work at the dealership at least one year with the dealership post-graduation. The Porsche mechanic school may provide matching for the program prior to enrollment, make sure to check with the school to verify.
Upon completion of the program students can opt to take the certification and begin their path to Gold certified Porsche technician.
While the BLS and other labor departments do not provide data on Porsche mechanics specifically, due to the requirements Porsche stipulates in their repair centers and dealerships as well as the limited number of new Porsche apprentices each year, employment as a Porsche technician could be more lucrative and secure than other automotive mechanic career opportunities. In addition, upon completing the Gold certification, formal recognition from Porsche is awarded and students are typically gifted a limited edition Porsche watch.
- Suncoast Motorsports, "Suncoast Porsche Gold Certified Technician," http://www.suncoastmotorsports.com/custom/Suncoast-Porsche-Gold-Certified-Technician%20/Sarasota-FL-Audi-Porsche-Volkswagen-Dealer
- Prestige Imports, Learning Center "Congratulate our Porsche Gold Certified Technician - Kyle Marshall" http://www.prestigeimports.net/congratulate-our-porsche-gold-certified-technician-kyle-marshall/
- Spectrum Collision, "Porsche Academy, Porsche Approved Collision Center Program" http://www.spectrumcollision.com/assets/file/2012-5-14_PACC_Program_Standards.pdf
- Porsche Collision Center, "Porsche Approved Collision Center Programs," https://www.porschecollisioncenter.com/pa/porsche/index.html5. I-Car, "Porsche Training," https://www.i-car.com/Home/Educational-Programs/OEM-Training-Requirements/Porsche6. Universal Technical Institute, "Porsche PTAP Overview," http://www.uti.edu/partners/porsche#tabbed-nav=porsche-ptap-overview